Monday, March 21, 2011

Don't worry, I get it

Some people don’t get it. I mean really don’t get it.

Like the people who don’t get what we are doing for breast cancer. These are the people that ignore your “friend” requests because they are afraid you’re going to ask them for money. They look the other direction when you are walking toward them as to avoid eye contact.

I get it.

And let’s be honest, you don’t get it. I know this because if you “got it” you would know that even though I am raising money, it is not really about the money. It’s about going outside your comfort zone and doing something that has meaning. You don’t need to donate money to make an impact. If you “got it” you would know it is not only about the money, but about the conversation. You could ask me why I walk. You could ask me why I am passionate about breast cancer screening research and education.

Then you have the people who can only donate $5 and they feel bad. Really. Don’t feel bad.

I know you “get it”.

Really, if $5 is all you can afford, that $5 means the same as $100 if the person who donates $100 can afford it. Now don’t get me wrong. Do I wish they were all $100 donations? Of course. Am I realistic? Of course.

I get it.

So please, don’t be afraid, embarrassed, whatever to donate the $5. Don’t be afraid to ask me about why I “bleed pink” (if you don’t know what this means, then you REALLY need to ask me). And if the cancer crisis isn’t on your mind (even in the way back of your mind) you really need to “get it”. What is unfolding right now in Japan is inevitably going to lead to a major cancer event. Finding a cure is important but so is ANY advancement toward treatment and screening to this horrible disease.

Do you get it now?

.....Sacha.....

1 comment:

  1. A big THANK YOU for this post! Glad to know others out there get it!

    ReplyDelete