Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's a Sticky Situation

Things get stuck in my head all the time. Songs, rhymes, chocolate cravings, etc.


But today, it is a quote. Okay, not just today. The past few days this quote has been floating around my head. It is a good one. One I’ve heard thousands of times and I’m sure you have too. The only difference is it won’t leave me. It’s there stuck. So, I am forced to write about it. Maybe this will help it to move back to the part of brain where it can sit quietly.

“I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it.”

I can’t even give proper acknowledgement because I can’t remember who is quoted as saying it (I am sure one of you can enlighten me).

Anyway…why is this thought staying with me? Haunting me. Taunting me.

I can literally apply it to everything.

Example: doing the dishes. Not easy. Clean kitchen. Worth it.

Ooh, or even better, I hate cleaning the bathrooms.  Not easy. Super clean bathtub. Worth it.

First time my mom had breast cancer. Not easy. She kicked it and it was definitely worth it to have 17 more years with her.

So, as Team Piggy gears up for another year....and I'm asked if it's easy, I say no. It's not easy to ask people for money. It's not easy to raise $2,300. It's not easy to walk 60 miles.


BUT...When it is all said and done, it’s worth it when I hear about some advancement in breast cancer.
It’s worth it when I hear about another woman whose cancer is in remission. And it is most definately worth it when my son asks me if he can walk for the pink ribbon too, not because he knows what the pink ribbon means exactly; but only that he knows it means so much to me and helps him remember his grandma Karen.

Yep, it's worth it.

My son, hub, mom and me. July 2007, 2 months before my mom lost her battle with breast cancer.

1 comment:

  1. I miss your mom too - she's really my favorite aunt (just don't tell Judy that)

    ReplyDelete