Saturday, February 15, 2014

Just a little note....

So---I haven't wrote for awhile. Not that I don't have anything to say.....that is funny considering I ALWAYS have something to say...but just 'cause simply life is moving WAY. TOO. FAST. 

This past week I was smacked in the face with reality and reminded to slow down. Pay attention.

The 2013 3 Day was, once again, life changing. Every year my life is made better over the course of those 3 days. Not a lot changes as far as the event goes. I mean, you walk, you eat, you walk some more, you eat some more, you shower in the back of a semi, you sleep in a PINK tent, repeat for 3 days/2 nights. But what did change was ME. I'm getting older--in fact--I turned the big 4-0 on day 2 of the 2013 3 Day...that meant 40 miles on the day I turned 40. Wow. (Please pause while I pat myself on the back.)
Forty. Wow. So, back to that big smack in the face. This past week I got the news of another friend diagnosed with breast cancer. I've made the jokes about knowing so many people with breast cancer....really it's not funny. I know people who can't name one person they personally know who has had "THE" diagnosis. I have cousins, aunts, sister in laws who are survivors and of course, my mom who died from the disease and these people can't name one?? Not even an acquaintance?? Seriously?? This isn't a pitty party. This is the smack in the face. I don't ask why me, oh boo hoo. I say, "Why not me." I've always been the one who isn't afraid to speak her mind. I'm not afraid to put thousands of facebook posts asking my friends to support me and ultimately the Susan G Komen Foundation all in the name of my mom and Team Piggy, to raise money for breast cancer research and education. I KNOW one day we will find a cure for the disease.


Team Piggy 2013 at Mile 59!
But today, I'm not asking for your money (but if you would like to make a donation to one of the 2014 Team Piggy members the link is on the right hand side of the page.)  TODAY is about awareness. TODAY is for the rest of my friends and my friends friends and everyone else out there....40 is the number. Go get those mammograms. You think life is moving too fast now?? Imagine if you put off that appointment how fast your life could go by. Early detection is key. And to my friends who also turned the BIG 4-0 this year, or will, it's NOT that bad. Trust me.


Muah!
Sacha

No comments:

Post a Comment